The Exchange, Lowgate, Kingston Upon Hull
This building was a centre for Hull's commercial life when it was built in 1866 for the Hull Exchange Company. As well as a shipping exchange, it also housed a newsroom, offices, a telegraph company and had a club and refreshment room in the basement. It was described in 1891 as 'one of the chief ornaments of the town, a lofty and imposing edifice of Italian architecture'. It was converted in 1980-81 by Fisher, Hollingsworth & Partners to become Lowgate Courthouse.