The Forge, Dorrington, Shropshire

The Forge, Dorrington, Shropshire
Photograph taken November 1980 © Copyright Crown copyright.NMR ref: bb006687

This iron furnace and forge was built in about 1605 and remained in operation virtually unchanged until 1742. The forge was subsequently converted into a paper mill in 1801, which closed in 1815. The remains of the furnace may have been incorporated in Forge House. The site has more recently been used as a petrol station. Find out more about forges and other metal working industries in our Teachers' Kit - Forges and Foundries.

Location

Shropshire Dorrington

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

building industry work forge reuse petrol pump stuart (1603 - 1713)