The gatehouse of Kirkham Priory, Westow, North Yorkshire

The gatehouse of Kirkham Priory, Westow, North Yorkshire
Photograph taken July 1999 © Copyright Historic England Archive Photo Library ref: j990154

The Augustinian priory at Kirkham was founded in 1125 in the peaceful Derwent Valley. The late 13th-century gatehouse, which adjoins the east end of the church, has surviving decorations of heraldry, saints and a dragon. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).

Location

North Yorkshire Westow

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

priory religion faith building ruin architecture gatehouse carving decoration medieval (1066 - 1484) english heritage