The Granary, Granary Wharf, Town Quay, Barking, Greater London
The Town Quay/Mill Pool is situated on the River Roding approximately two miles north of where the Roding joins the River Thames. A wharf of some kind must have existed near Barking Abbey as water was then the chief means of transport. The wharf would have been important for transporting food for the Abbey, corn and meal for the nearby mills and the growing trade of the town. The local fishing and other industries were all centred on the wharf. When the Barking fishing industry was at its height in the 1840s and 1850s the Town Quay must have been bustling with activity. The Old Granary at the Town Quay was built in 1870, and is all that remains of Barking Mill.