The Great Gate, St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury, Kent
The Great Gate of St Augustine's Abbey dates from 1309 and served as the main entrance to the monastic compound. A monastery was founded on this site in 598 by St Augustine who was sent by Pope Gregory to convert the English. Systematic destruction of the Abbey after the Dissolution began in 1541. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).