The Lawn, Harlow, Essex
Many new homes were needed in the 1950s to replace those lost during WW2. One solution to providing a large number of homes was to build high-rise developments. The Lawn was built in 1951 and was the first residential tower block in Britain. There were two one-bed flats and two bedsitters on each of the 10 floors. The projecting ends of each wing were used to give each flat a south-facing balcony. In 1952 it received a Ministry of Health Housing medal. It was part of Harlow New Town. Most of the homes in the New Towns were rented from the Development Corporation. .