The Leather Sellers Almshouses, Union Street, Barnet, Greater London
These almshouses were built by The Leathersellers Company, one of the ancient Livery (uniform making) Companies of the City of London. Livery Companies have a tradition of providing accommodation for the elderly. The foundation stone for these almshouses was laid in July 1837, with further wings added in 1849 and 1866. They were originally intended for poor members of the Company or their widows. Each almsman (person) received a weekly pension and a coal allowance.