The Lighthouse, Stradbroke Road, Southwold, Suffolk

Southwold Lighthouse has been a coastal mark for passing shipping in Southwold Harbour since its construction. Building work began in 1887 under the supervision of the Engineer in Chief to Trinity House, Sir James Douglas. He was asked to construct a new lighthouse to replace three local lighthouses. These were under threat from severe coastal erosion.


Suffolk Southwold


Victorian (1837 - 1901)


lighthouse brick seaside coast harbour ship Victorian (1837 - 1901)