The Nails, Corn Street, Bristol
The Nails are 4 flat-topped stands made of brass. They were used for making payments and settling deals. They may be linked to the saying 'cash on the nail'. They were given at different dates by different people. The oldest one dates from the late Elizabethan period and was the gift of Alderman Kitche who died in 1594. They used to stand beneath a covered way on the North side of All Saints' Church and were moved outside the Exchange building.