The Old Custom House, St Georges Quay, Lancaster, Lancashire
This building was built as a Customs House in 1763-4. It was built to replace an earlier Customs House and was in use as such until 1882. This is when the Customs were transferred to Barrow in Furness. There was no direct access between the 2 floors. The ground-floor Weigh House was used for checking goods before they went into bonded warehouses. On the first floor was the 'Long Room', occupied by clerks and the offices of the principal officers of the Customs. The original specification for the building, which gives considerable detail of its construction, survives among the Port Commissioners' papers in Lancaster Library. The building has since been used as a Maritime Museum.