The Round Tower, Portsmouth, Portsmouth

The Round Tower, Portsmouth, Portsmouth
Photograph taken 30 March 2004 © Mr Glyn Edmunds EFIAP, AMPA, ARPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 474314

The Round Tower fortification is now museum. It was originally built in c1415. The ground floor was reconstructed in c1538-40. Two upper storeys were added in the late 17th century. It was probably built by Sir Bernard de Gomme. It was modified again in the early 19th century, possibly for adaptation as a Martello Tower.

Location

Portsmouth Portsmouth

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

military tower attack defence museum Medieval (1066 - 1484)