The Shambles, Fore Street, Kingsbridge, Devon
Looking north along Fore Street, with The Shambles or Market House to the left. A timber-built Exchange or Market House, referred to as the Chepe House, Butchery or Shambles, formerly stood in the middle of Fore Street at Kingsbridge, opposite the church. The building, in which the manor courts were held, is shown in a view of the town dated 1586. It was still in existence in 1795, when a legal brief described it as being 128 feet long by 16 feet wide. It was taken down in the following year and replaced by the present Shambles or Market Arcade. This building extends over the pavement next to Saint Edmund's Church. It retains, in its arcade of seven bays, five granite pillars dating from 1586. Behind the arcade are narrow shops. A staircase at the south end leads to offices on the first floor.