Tilbury Fort, Tilbury, Thurrock
Tilbury Fort was designed in 1670 by Charles II's chief engineer, Sir Bernard de Gomme, in response to Dutch raids on the Thames. It is one of the best surviving examples of continental-inspired bastion defence in Britain. This is a reconstruction drawing of how the fort might have looked. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).