Toll House on Whitney Toll Bridge, Whitney on Wye, Herefordshire
This toll house was built in the late 18th century for Tomkyns Dew. The site for the construction of a toll house was provided as part of the Whitney Toll Bridge Act of 1780. The Turnpike Act of 1663 meant a toll/fee had to be paid to travel on certain roads to pay for their upkeep. This had lead to the creation in 1706 of Turnpike Trusts - private companies set up to collect the tolls and maintain the roads.