Totnes Castle, Totnes, Devon
Totnes Castle was first built as a motte and bailey castle by Judhael of Brittany shortly after the Norman Conquest in 1066 AD. It is situated on high ground in close proximity to the River Dart and overlooks Totnes town, which dates back to Saxon times. In 1088 AD the Totnes estate passed to Roger de Nonant and in 1196 AD it passed to the de Braose family. It is believed that Reginald de Braose was responsible for replacing the timber tower with a stone shell keep in around 1219 AD. In 1230 AD the de Cantilipe family controlled the castle before being succeeded by the de la Zouche family in 1273 AD. William de la Zouche was responsible for rebuilding much of the castle in about 1326 AD and this work forms most of the extant remains. After the 14th century, the condition of the castle gradually deteriorated. The castle was later owned by the Edgecombes of Cothele and the Seymour family, by whom it was placed in the guardianship of the Ministry of Works in 1947. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).