Town Hall, Walthamstow, Greater London
The town hall is an impressive building within a formally landscaped setting and is an example of the plain classical style of the 1930s. The building includes municipal offices, an assembly hall and law courts. It was designed by P D Hepworth in 1932. Construction of the Portland stone clad offices and hall started in 1937. Only the shell of the building had been completed when war broke out in 1939. The offices and hall were then completed under strict war time conditions in 1941 and 1942 respectively. The main office block has a tall portico and a high copper clock tower. War time economies meant that the interior was finished more simply than originally intended and the council chamber has reused Victorian furniture. The civic complex was completed in 1971 when the law courts were finally built, to designs by K Krumins.