Trafalgar Mill, Trafalgar Street, Burnley, Lancashire
This mill has a complicated history. It was originally built as a mill for spinning cotton. It was built in 1846 for W H Halstead and had internal engines. It was then converted in 1867 into an integrated mill with an external engine house, boiler house, water tank and weaving sheds. The tower was added in 1872. Then in 1891-2 the Walker Hey footbridge was built to give workers quicker access to the town centre. In all Trafalgar Mill is a good illustration of the complex building history associated with a single-industry site over a period of half a century.