Travelling Crane, North Pier, Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear
The pier and lighthouse were built between 1854 and 1895, and then rebuilt in 1909. During this time several cranes were built to help transport cargo along the pier. An application to demolish the final crane (shown here) was approved in 1990 and a photographer from the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England (RCHME) was sent to photograph it before it was demolished. The tramlines for transporting unloaded cargo can also be seen running along the pier to the lighthouse.