Tregantle Fort, Antony, Cornwall
Tregantle Fort dates from 1865. It was built as part of a larger scheme following the news that the French Navy were building iron-clad warships. The design of the forts was in the hands of the Royal Engineers.Tregantle Fort was one of the outer line of forts defending Plymouth. The fort was built roughly 360 feet above sea level. It had ditches on the east, north and west sides and a very extensive view. The total number of guns was 87. From 1866 to 1903 it was manned. From 1900 to 1903 it held 14 officers and 423 other ranks. From 1903, the ranges were used for musketry (gun) training.