Tutbury Priory, Tutbury, Staffordshire
The south west corner of Tutbury Priory with the ruins of the castle in the background. Tutbury Priory was founded by Henry de Ferrers, 1066-86, probably for a prior and twelve monks, and was a dependency of St Pierre-sur-Dives. It followed the Benedictine order and was surrendered in 1538. After the dissolution the site was granted to Sir William Cavendish who dismantled the priory, part of the church and the chapel of Saint Stephen in order to build a house. The foundations of the cloister, dormitory and apartments were still visible circa 1832 in the field adjoining the church to the north. The church became a parish church after the dissolution. The West front was built 1160-70 and the there is a scene depicting a boar-hunt above the Norman South doorway.