University Tower and Wills Memorial Building, Queens Road, Bristol
The University building was constructed in 1914-25 . It was designed by Sir George Oatley in Perpendicular Gothic Revival style and extended around 1950. The university started as the College of Science and Literature in 1876 and received its charter in 1909. The tower has been described as "...a masterpiece, monumental in scale and the dominating landmark of the city." (Crick) The Great Hall to the rear was gutted by bombing in the Second World War and subsequently rebuilt.