Upnor Castle, Upper Upnor, Medway
Upnor Castle was built as a fort in 1559-67 to defend the new dockyards at Chatham across the water. At the height of its use in the early 17th century the Castle was equipped with 'a demi-cannon, 7 culverin, 5 demi-culverin, a minion, a falcon, a saker and 4 fowlers with 2 chambers apiece'. Despite all these weapons the fort failed to stop an attack by the Dutch fleet in 1667. This property is managed by Medway Council.