War Memorial north of Polebrook House, Desford, Leicestershire
This war memorial was built in c1920. It has the inscription 'This avenue of trees is planted to the memory of 36 old boys of this school who fell in the Great War 1914-1919 and below follows a list of the names of those who are commemorated here'. The school in question was the Desford Industrial (Boys) School, later called Polebrook House. The school was built in c1880 by the Leicester School Board but it took boys from all over the country. It was officially opened on Saturday 15 January 1881. It was not unusual for schools to build memorials to former pupils after the First World War, but this avenue of trees is a thoughtful addition.