Watch House, Bishopsgate, City of London, Greater London Authority
A view from Bishopsgate showing the former watch house at the corner of St Botolph's churchyard. A tablet affixed to the house records the fact that it was rebuilt 1771 and again 1912. The watch or guard house was originally attached to Bishopsgate. Bishopsgate was one of the entrance in the Roman walls built arund London. The gate was rebuilt in the 7th century by Eorconweold, Bishop of London, hence the name Bisopsgate. It was again rebuilt in 1431 by the Hansa merchants and yet again in 1731 by the City authorities. It was demolished in 1760.