Watch Tower, Lyddington, Rutland

Watch Tower, Lyddington, Rutland
Photograph taken 24 June 2004 © Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive ref: 427652

This watch tower was built in the late 15th century. It has the coat of arms of John Russell, Bishop of Lincoln 1480-1494. It is part of the medieval walls around the former Bishops Palace, now known as the Bede House. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).

Location

Rutland Lyddington

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

tower wall medieval (1066 - 1484) english heritage