Western Lodge Hospital, Western Road, Crediton, Devon
This building was originally Crediton Union workhouse. It was built in 1836-7 at a site to the west of Crediton. It was designed by Sampson Kempthorne. A signed plan of the workhouse is in the Devon Record Office. It was built for 300 inmates and the Poor Law Commissioners authorised the sum of £6,500 on its construction. The workhouse layout was based on Kempthorne's standard hexagonal Y-plan design. The area between the sections of the building were divided up by walls to give a total of six exercise yards for each of the various classes of inmate. A separate hospital block was later built. The workhouse later became part of Crediton Hospital and then a home for elderly people. The site has since been redeveloped for residential use.