Wetheral Priory Gatehouse, Wetheral, Cumbria

Wetheral Priory Gatehouse, Wetheral, Cumbria
© Mr John B. Edwards. Source Historic England Archive ref: 77770

Wetheral Priory was a Benedictine monastery founded in c1106-12. The gatehouse was built in the 14th century. This probably happened after the destruction of the buildings following border raids. The priory was dedicated to Holy Trinity and St Constantine. It was established as a cell of the Abbey of St Mary, York, for twelve monks. In 1538 it was dissolved by Henry VIII and all the buildings, with the exception of the gatehouse, were demolished. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more

Location

Cumbria Wetheral

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

priory monastery dissolution religion faith gatehouse medieval (1066 - 1484) english heritage