White Cross, Whitecross Road, Hereford, Herefordshire

This cross was originally built by Bishop Charlton sometime between 1361-70. It was much restored in 1864. It marks the site of Hereford market when it was moved due to the plague. Because the Black Death (plague) was rife in the city in 1361 the market was moved 1 mile west of the city centre.


Herefordshire Hereford


Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)


market cross plague commemorate remembrance Medieval (1066 - 1484)