Whitehaven Castle, Flatt Walks, Whitehaven

Whitehaven Castle, Flatt Walks, Whitehaven
Photograph taken 08 September 2001 © Mr Julian Thurgood. Source Historic England Archive ref: 75937

Whitehaven Castle was built in 1769 by Sir John Lowther as his own house, on the site of an earlier mansion. The Lowthers continued to own the site up to the 1920s when it was turned into a hospital. The hospital closed in the 1980s and the castle passed into the hands of a developer.

Location

Cumbria Whitehaven

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

country house hospital Georgian (1714 - 1836)