Workers housing, Peabody Estate, Southwark, Greater London
This estate of philanthropic housing came before the provision of council housing. It was completed in 1871 and was designed by Henry Darbishire for the Peabody Trust. There were 16 more or less identical blocks, each rectangular in plan and 4 storeys high. Further blocks were added later. The estate was originally named Peabody Square. It is an important monument in the history of philanthropic housing. Previous block of flats (tenements) had been large and barrack-like. These blocks were smaller and access was via an enclosed staircase rather than an external one. The layout was spacious and was centred on 2 planted squares. This design influenced the planning of later artisans' (workers) dwellings.