Our grants help owners look after some of the most important buildings, monuments and designed landscapes in the country. We also help fund research so we can understand and care for the historic environment better.
We also contribute to the costs of some organisations working to care for the historic environment, boosting the impact of their work and helping to get more people involved in it.
Last year we spent £19.37 million across our grant schemes. This was spread across 391 grant offers which varied in amounts depending on the level of financial commitment required for each project. These projects can take from a few months to several years to complete.
Who receives funding
We give grants through a range of funding schemes tailored to specific activities or building types. We cater for all types of property owner and last year offered grants to 391 applicants.
You can find out more about the grants we offer by following the links below:
- Grants towards the repair and conservation of listed buildings, scheduled monuments and registered parks and gardens: Repair Grants for Heritage at Risk
- Funding towards activities and projects to understand, manage and conserve the historic environment: National Capacity Building Programme and Regional Capacity Building Programme
- Support for Local authorities: Local Authority Grants for Conservation Staff, Acquisition Grants and Grants to Underwrite Urgent Works Notices
- Funding for strategic research and to build skills and capacity in the historic environment: Heritage Protection Commissions
- Partnership funding to support a sustainable future and heritage based regeneration in Conservation Areas: Partnership Schemes in Conservation Areas
Our Repair Grants for Places of Worship scheme ceased in 2013. If you're looking for information about Grants for Places of Worship run by the Heritage Lottery Fund, please contact your local HLF office.
*Includes funding towards places of worship which, for moral reasons, don't wish to receive lottery funding and expenditure on previous Repair Grants for Places of Worship projects.
** Includes Capacity Building grants, Management Agreements, Maritime Commissions and Inspired posts.