St Paul's Methodist Church, Rochdale Road, Shaw and Crompton - Oldham

Chapel of 1863 by James Simpson and Sunday School of 1871 by John Wild of Oldham, built in a classical style, with ashlar walls and slate roof. The site was shared with a day school until 1975, when a new school building was built. With reduced income, the Chapel building ceased to be used, with worship moved into the attached Sunday School. The original Chapel has been empty ever since and its condition is declined leading to a roof collapse in February 2019. The building has been demolished down to a level at which it was safe to remove the road closing scaffolding.

St Paul's Methodist Church, Rochdale Road, Shaw and Crompton - Oldham
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    SAINT PAUL's METHODIST CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1309549
    Local Planning Authority:
    Oldham
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Chapel

Location

    Building Name:
    St Paul's Methodist Church
    Street Name:
    Rochdale Road
    Locality:
    Shaw
    County:
    Greater Manchester
    District / Borough:
    Oldham
    Parish:
    Shaw and Crompton
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Oldham East and Saddleworth
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II