SAINT PAUL'S METHODIST CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309549

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Statutory Address: SAINT PAUL'S METHODIST CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, ROCHDALE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAINT PAUL'S METHODIST CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:26:50.

Location

Statutory Address: SAINT PAUL'S METHODIST CHAPEL AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, ROCHDALE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Shaw and Crompton

National Grid Reference: SD9385309103

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 91 NW 4/27 11/7/83

CROMPTON ROCHDALE ROAD (north side) St. Paul's Methodist Chapel and Sunday School II

Chapel and Sunday school. 1863 by James Simpson, Sunday School of 1871 by John Wild of Oldham. Ashlar with slate roof.3-sided gallery plan with 5 x 6 bays and 2 storeys. The Sunday school adjoins the rear and has 4 x 7 bays and 2 storeys. Gable-pediment with modillion cornice and central oculus with volute enrichment. Rusticated corner pilasters. Central porch has corner antae and columns in antis supporting a bold entablature. Double panelled doors with overlight. Outer sash windows with raised segment-headed surrounds, keystones and light volute decoration. Round- arched first floor sash windows with marginal glazing bars have continuous sill band, pilasters and are keyed into a string above. Similar side windows with less enrichment. Cast-iron railings and gates around front enclosure. The Sunday school has a pediment over the central 3 bays which are slightly advanced. Bracketed eaves cornice. Doors in extreme bays with fanlights, pilaster surrounds and dropped keystones. Segment-headed ground floor windows and round- arched first floor windows have stone sills and dropped keystones. Central 3 first floor have open pediments. Oculus and garland in tympanum. C20 addition to rear. Interior: panelled gallery parapet on cast-iron columns. Arched organ loft. Panelled ceiling. Enriched plaster frieze includes shell motifs.

Listing NGR: SD9385309103

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 212431

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing