Church of St Augustine, Archway Road, Hornsey N6 - Haringey

The Art Workers Guild background of the three architects involved in this late C19 church is very apparent. JF Sedding started the work, was succeeded by his pupil Henry Wilson (west nave and Lady Chapel) and Harold Gibbons, who in 1916 completed the Arts and Crafts facade with its Calvary. The London stock brickwork is dressed in Bath stone and red brick under a plain tiled roof. Internal fittings are of a high quality. The tower roof was repaired in 2017 and the Calvary Statuary in 2018, with grants from the National Lottery Heritage Fund. There remain repairs to roofs and gutters.

Church of St Augustine, Archway Road, Hornsey N6 - Haringey
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1358860
    Local Planning Authority:
    Haringey
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Augustine
    Street Name:
    Archway Road
    Locality:
    Hornsey
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Haringey
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Hornsey and Wood Green
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Fair
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    F
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA