CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358860
Date first listed:
10-May-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
08-May-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY, ARCHWAY ROAD N6

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358860 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 14:42:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY, ARCHWAY ROAD N6

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Haringey (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29042 87562

Details

TQ 2987 ARCHWAY ROAD, N6 (East side) 800/41/145 Church of Saint Augustine of Canterbury (formerly listed under Langton Park Road)

10.05.74 II

Anglican church. Begun 1885 by J.D.Sedding; west front completed in 1916 by J. Harold Gibbons. Body of church in stock brick with red brick and stone dressing. Tiled roof. Eight bay nave, chancel and aisles. West front to Archway road in highly individual free Gothic style, with prominent west tower with pagoda roof sweeping down at the sides to nave roof level. Huge gabled transverse buttresses at angles and long stepped buttresses in front. Flamboyant tracery to high west window. Projecting narthex with central part faced in stone with roof figures in high relief, and other pictorial carvings. INTERIOR: nave runs straight into chancel. Arcades on solid masonry piers. Clerestory windows, slit lancets in wide pointed arches. Lady chapel with barrelled roof, fitted out by Henry Wilson and completed c.1930. East end remodelled in 1925 by J. Harold Gibbons following fire: new organ gallery replaces 3 original bays. Hunter organ, 1926. Altar and reredos panelling, 1938 by Adrian Scott; altar front by Linthout of Bruges. Figures above the altar, 1958; shrine to Mary in east nave, 1962, Laurence King. Large undercroft below west end.



Listing NGR: TQ2904287562

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201419
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/01038/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Lesley Arevalo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].