Church of St Gregory, Welford - West Berkshire (UA)

Church 1852-5 by T Talbot Bury, the Norman tower taken down and re-built late C19. Flint, with stone dressings and clay plain tiled roofs. Tower, nave, aisles, chancel and south porch. Four bay nave and aisles, arcade of two centred arches. Three bay chancel with stone vaulted roof, Slipped and deteriorated roof tiles to the nave, aisles and porch in need of repair to avoid water ingress. An application made to the National Lottery Heritage Fund Grants for Places of Worship scheme in 2017 was unsuccessful and the works continue to be needed.

Church of St Gregory, Welford - West Berkshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church of St Gregory
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1117225
    Local Planning Authority:
    West Berkshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Gregory
    Unitary Authority:
    West Berkshire (UA)
    Parish:
    Welford
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Newbury
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*