CHURCH OF ST GREGORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1117225

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GREGORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117225 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 00:41:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GREGORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Welford

National Grid Reference: SU 40883 73156

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 47 NW WELFORD WELFORD

12/9 Church of St. Gregory

II* 6.4.67

Church. 1852-5 by T. Talbot Bury, the Norman tower taken down and re-built in the late C19. Flint, some squared and knapped and some knapped, with stone dressings and tiled roof. Tower, nave, aisles, chancel and south porch. Heavy stone moulded plinth, buttresses, moulded string at cill level, gable parapets. Round tower, tall first stage with one semicircular headed window to north, south and west, short second stage above moulded string changing to octagon at top, with 2-light pointed arched louvres with thin engaged columns under pointed arch. Coupled columns at corners of octagon supporting blind arcade and stone spire with 2-light gabled louvres at base,clock faces to north and south. South Elevation:- tower to left. 4 bay south aisle, with south porch to left of 2-centred arched doorway under stone coped parapetted gable with central niche and statue, flanked by clasping buttresses with gabled crocketted and finialled caps. Three windows to right. Bays divided by buttresses with an angle buttress to right end. Chancel to right of 3 bays with plain lancet windows and blocked doorway with caernarvon-arched head. Interior:- 4 bay nave and aisles, arcade of 2 centred arches springing off compound piers with foliage capitals. Double purlin, arch braced collar roof with curved wind-braces to nave, scissor trusses with cusped bracing to aisles. 3 bay chancel with stone vaulted roof, carved leaf bosses and ribs springing off leaf capitals on marble colonnettes. Pointed arched arcading forming sedilia around walls and stone access stair to pulpit built into north side of chancel arch. Fittings:- reset brasses on South wall of chancel, depict John Younge and his family and a cleric. west wall of north aisle has monument to the Reverend Thomas Shirley and family 1753, a rectangular tablet with shouldered architrave and cambered top surmounted by obelisk with draped lamp in coloured marbles. In the tower are 5 marble tablets, one with portrait bust, to the Mundy family, all of late C17 date. On west wall of south aisle is a re-set monument in carved stone and marble of kneeling female figure in niche flanked by Ionic columns supporting frieze and aedicule. Beneath this is an inscribed tablet with kneeling figures of 12 girls and 7 boys, latin inscription to Anna, daughter of William Rede, wife of Adrian Fortescue and Thomas Parry, died in 1585 in her 75th year; C11 arcaded font on C20 base.

Listing NGR: SU4088373156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39786

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing