Church of St Mary, Gilmorton Road, Ashby Magna - Harborough

Church of late C13 but restored and provided with a new chancel in 1861. The church comprises a four-stage embattled west tower, nave with north aisle and 'blind' clerestory and chancel with north vestry. Walls are of random granite rubble with field pebble 'galletting' (small stones pushed into mortar to strengthen it) and limestone dressings. The stonework to the tower is in need of repair and the rainwater goods are in a poor condition with the downpipes displaced on the south side of the nave. Grant funding is being sought. The church has been subject to heritage crime.

Church of St Mary, Gilmorton Road, Ashby Magna - Harborough
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1061550
  • Local Planning Authority: Harborough
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Mary
  • Street Name: Gilmorton Road
  • County: Leicestershire
  • District / Borough: Harborough
  • Parish: Ashby Magna
  • Parliamentary Constituency: South Leicestershire
  • Region: East Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: A
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*

Contact Details

Ben Robinson 01480 412107

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England