Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061550

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 18:14:39.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Ashby Magna

National Grid Reference: SP 56370 90479


SP59 SE 4/1

ASHBY MAGNA GILMORTON ROAD (East Side) Church of St. Mary


GV II* Parish Church. Essentially a late C13 building given a new chancel and restored in 1861. Random granite rubble with galletting, and limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting. Tower, nave with north aisle, chancel. West tower of four stages with angle buttresses, one of which contains a worn niche with fleurons. Embattled parapets. Blocked narrow west doorway and 3-light window above it, Victorian in the Decorated style. Paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Tall south wall with Victorian inserted 3-light windows of coarse Decorated tracery. There are two earlier windows above as if forming a clerestory: these are each a single light with rounded head. Chancel is entirely Victorian and the stonework is of a smaller grade of rubble. South windows are in a C13 style. The east window consists of 2 pairs of lancets with quatrefoil above, forming a plate traceried design. Late C13 style windows in north aisle are of intersecting tracery, but also C19, as is the north doorway with its slight roll mouldings. Plinths and buttresses to the aisle, and parapet to north nave wall, like a blind clerestory. Inside, the nave extends west of the 3 bay north arcade to the tower arch which is double chamfered and has an inner arch springing from corbels. Late C13 arcade has short octagonal shafts with abaci and double chamfered arches with outer hoodmould with corbel heads. The eastern respond is cut by the chancel wall showing that when the chancel was rebuilt it was brought slightly forward from its original alignment. Nave roof has tie beams and queen posts with curved bracing. Chancel arch has clustered shafts as responds and is chamfered with hoodmould. Shallow arch through to late C19 vestry to north of chancel. Piscinas in north and south are Victorian in an early C14 style. North window has two paired lancets set behind a double arched recess with central freestanding column. Furnishings and fittings all apparently date from the restoration. Stained glass: tiny fragments of C15 glass survive in one north aisle window: small yellow flowers. West window has glass of c1860 and the chancel east and south windows are of 1847: scenes from the life of Christ in medieval style combine uneasily with the more abstract backdrop of medallions. Round the west tower arch are stencilled Victorian flowers while the north doorway and the chancel arch are surmounted by texts. Evidently there were other texts and a painted frieze adorning the south wall but these have almost perished leaving only shadowy traces.

Listing NGR: SP5637090479


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191150

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing