Church of St Cuthbert, Church Street, Haydon - Northumberland (UA)

The church was erected in 1796 by the Greenwich Hospital Trustees, to whom the Derwentwater estates passed in the C18. It has an elegant west tower, narrower than the nave, which is topped by a pagoda-like roof. A north transept was added in 1869 to accommodate children from the Shaftoe Trust School. The chancel was enlarged, and other alterations made, in1898. There is structural movement in the transept and rainwater ingress.

Church of St Cuthbert, Church Street, Haydon - Northumberland (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1154539
    Local Planning Authority:
    Northumberland (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Cuthbert
    Street Name:
    Church Street
    Unitary Authority:
    Northumberland (UA)
    Parish:
    Haydon
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Hexham
    Region:
    North East and Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA