CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1154539
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154539 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 06:18:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Haydon
National Grid Reference:
NY 84280 64427

Details

NY 8464 HAYDON CHURCH STREET (East side ) Haydon Bridge

13/37 Church of St. Cuthbert, Haydon Bridge 15.4.69 II*

Parish church. 1796, north transept added 1865, chancel enlarged and south elevation gothicised 1898. Tooled and margined ashlar on south, rubble on north re-used from the medieval church and including squared Roman stones. Slate roofs, stone-coped gables with moulded kneelers. Nave, west tower, north transept and chancel. Tower divided by bands into three stages, with projecting moulded cornice and swept pyramidal roof. Lower stage has C19 pointed-arched door on south,sundial dated '1796' over and round-headed window with renewed latticed glazing bars above. Similar windows on west,the upper one blind, and stone external stair on north up to tall round-headed doorway, farmer gallery access. Second stage has small square windows on all 3 sides. Third stage had round-headed belfry openings on east and west, similar openings blocked and partly hidden by clock faces on other sides. 4-bay nave has plinth and late C19 2-light windows in C14 style. North transept has tooled and margined quoins, round-headed windows on the north and west and door on the east. 2-bay chancel has plinth, late C19 2-light windows on the south, and east, and two round-headed windows (the eastern re-set in 1898) on the north.

Interior. Late Cl9 chancel arch, roof and most furnishings. C18 Royal Arms on west wall. Late C19 marble font. Glass by Kempe in chancel windows. Damaged C14 effigy under crocketed canopy and C17(?) carving of angel, brought from old church.

The church was erected by the Greenwich Hospital Commissioners in 1796. The north transept was added in 1869 to accommodate children from the Shaftoe Trust School.

Listing NGR: NY8428064427

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239287
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/03995/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Lumley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].