Loughton Parish Church, Wheathill - Shropshire (UA)

This church was built in 1622 at the expense of Bonham Norton of Church Stretton to replace a C13 chapel. Constructed in rubble stone with steeply pitched roofs covered by plain clay tiles, it consists of a nave with a west bellcote and a lower chancel. It was subsequently restored in 1904 when the south porch and north vestry were added. This was possibly the last occasion when all roofs were last re-laid and accounts for their poor condition. Rainwater goods are also failing and a new modified surface water drainage system is required.

Loughton Parish Church, Wheathill - Shropshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Parish Church
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1383759
  • Local Planning Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Chapel

Location

  • Building Name: Loughton Parish Church
  • Unitary Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Parish: Wheathill
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Ludlow
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

John Tiernan 0121 625 6839

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England