PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1383759
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383759.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:08:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wheathill
National Grid Reference:
SO 61567 82990

Details

WHEATHILL

SO68SW LOUGHTON 482-1/4/201 Parish Church 12/11/54

GV II

Church. Dated 1622, restored 1904. Church replaces chapel of pre-1291. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings, coursed stone rubble to additions. Plain-tile roofs with projecting verge. PLAN: chancel with north vestry, nave with integral bellcote, and south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel east window of twin segmental-headed lights with 3-lobed inset in spandrel. Restored scissor truss exposed under gable bargeboards. Blocked south doorway with flat stone slab lintel. Early C20 projecting tiled gabled vestry extension partly masks north wall. Nave with pair of opposing lattice-leaded 2-light segmental-headed windows, that to the north restored, that to the south with dated inscription over. South doorway with round-headed arch with ovolo-moulded chamfer. Early C20 south porch with tiled gabled roof and arched stone opening. West window is early C20 lancet. Bellcote over west gable with single bell set in round-arched opening below coped ashlar canopy roof. INTERIOR: single-bay chancel roof with restored scissor and collar truss. Pointed chancel arch in Early English style with string course with chamfer forming abacus, reputed to incorporate C12 material. Restored 3-bay single purlin nave roof with queen-post trusses. Inscription over south window reads: THIS CHURCH WAS BUILTE BY THE RIGHT WORTH. BONHAM NORTON ESQ AN DOM 1622. Church is of special interest for date of construction.







Listing NGR: SO6156782990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484191
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14790/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Megan G. Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].