Church of St John, Church Road, Newcastle on Clun - Shropshire (UA)

This church was designed by Edward Haycock in 1846 and completed in 1848. It consists of a wide nave with a west end bellcote, a south porch, north vestry and a short low chancel. Walls are constructed in coursed rubble siltstone and steeply pitched roofs covered with Welsh slate laid in equal courses. Failure of slate fixings is an on-going issue and roofs require stripping and re-laying. Defective rainwater goods need to be overhauled and the north side cistern removed to prevent further saturation of the adjacent wall. Selective repointing of areas of high level masonry is also required.

Church of St John, Church Road, Newcastle on Clun - Shropshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1054466
  • Local Planning Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St John
  • Street Name: Church Road
  • Unitary Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Parish: Newcastle on Clun
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Ludlow
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

John Tiernan 0121 625 6839

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England