CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054466
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 02:04:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Newcastle on Clun
National Grid Reference:
SO 25323 82616

Details

SO 28 SE CLUN C.P. CHURCH ROAD, Newcastle (North-west side)

6/71 Church of St. John -

GV II

Parish church. 1848, by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. Coursed and squared limestone with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Lancet style; 6-bay nave with lower chancel, South-west porch and North-west vestry. Plinth; buttresses with single off-set, diagonal at corners; corbelled eaves, verge parapets; projecting gabled bellcote to West, extending to ground level, with chamfered-arched bell-opening. Nave: lancets with returned hood moulds; South-west doorway in second bay from West with chamfered-archway and pair of boarded doors; gabled porch with chamfered-archway, hoodmould with carved-head stops, and side- benches within; gabled North-west vestry in second bay from West with lancet to North and chamfered-arched 6-panelled door to East; diamond-leaded lancet in bellcote-projection to West with blind lancet above. Chancel: triple stepped-lancet East window with returned hoodmould. Interior: double chamfered chancel arch; hammer beam nave roof with arch-bracing to collar. Fittings include: 5-bay West-gallery; 6-panelled vestry door; octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panelled bowl, circular stem, large octagonal base and trefoiled wooden top; octagonal wooden pulpit with blind trefoil-arched panels; wooden chancel screen consisting of ogee arches with pierced spandrels, frieze and cresting; panelled sanctuary. Various mid-C19 monuments. Stained glass: Circa 1848 East window, probably by David Evans of Shrewsbury,lettered: "IN MEMORY OF CHARLOTTE OAKES, WHO / DIED JANY 20th 1848 AGED 76. ALSO OF THOMAS / OAKES WHO DIED NOVR 3rd 1848 AGED 80. " The parish of Newcastle was formed in 1849 out of the larger parish of Clun. Cf. The Old Vicarage, Bridge Street, Clun and the Church of St. Mary, Chapel Lane, (also included on this list). Cranage, Vol.5, p449.

Listing NGR: SO2532382616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257166
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 449

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15882/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].