Church of St James, Victoria Road, New Brighton - Wirral

Gothic Revival church of 1854 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, with elaborately painted canted chancel, five bay north and south arcade. Soaring landmark five-stage tower which has undergone extensive restoration with funding support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund. A further phase of stone restoration work is required to the window tracery before the church can be removed from the Register.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JAMES
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1273545
    Local Planning Authority:
    Wirral
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St James
    Street Name:
    Victoria Road
    Locality:
    New Brighton
    County:
    Merseyside
    District / Borough:
    Wirral
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Wallasey
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

Peter Barlow 0161 242 1428