CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1273545
Date first listed:
17-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ALBION STREET, CH45 9LF

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273545.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 01:49:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ALBION STREET, CH45 9LF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 30646 93891

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/09/2016

SJ 39 SW 3/73

WALLASEY, NEW BRIGHTON, ALBION STREET (north side), Church of St. James

(Formerly listed as: WALLASEY, VICTORIA ROAD (south side), New Brighton, Church of St. James)

17.10.86

II

Church. 1854-6. By Sir G.G. Scott. Snecked stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof. 4-bay nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, north and south transepts, chancel with north east tower, south chapel and vestry. Aisles have paired cusped lights between weathered buttresses. Gabled western porches with entrances of 2 orders and round windows. Clerestory has traceried triangular windows. West end has gabled buttresses, west door of 2 orders, 3 cusped lancets and top round windows. Transepts have gabled buttresses, 3 cusped lancets and rose window to north and south. Chancel has canted end, Lombard frieze and corbelled angle shafts; 2-light windows. Tower has gabled angle buttresses; cusped pointed east entrance and blind arcading to north; 2nd stage has traceried lancets; 3rd stage has paired trefoil-headed lights; 4th stage has nook shafts and 2-light louvred bell openings, cornice with ball flower. Broach spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes, the lower tier removed, niches over broaches. South chapel has diagonal buttress and 2-light windows. Vestry extending to south of 1923, straight-headed windows with cusped lights. Interior: Nave arcades of 5 bays on round columns. Chancel arch on columns with foliate capitals. Low iron chancel screen, octagonal timber pulpit with figures; 1912. Arch to north organ loft and 2-bay arcade to south chapel. East end has wall paintings, 1899, by A.D. Hemming; canopied figures and angels, ceiling also painted. Painted reredos, 1891, by A.D. Hemmings. South chapel has reredos and parclose screen, 1938, by B.A. Miller. Some interesting C19 stained glass to north and east.

Listing NGR: SJ3064693891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444539
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05041/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].