Church of St Peter and St Paul, The Green, Chingford E4 - Waltham Forest

The church, with tower and spire of 1844, is by Lewis Vulliamy; the chancel and north and south aisle chapels are by Sir Arthur Blomfield dating from 1903. The Lady Chapel was extended and re-ordered in 1936 by NF Cachemaille-Day. Primary construction is in cream-coloured gault brick with flint chequer-board flushwork. All dressings are in Bath stone. The slated roofs are sound but the deficient and defective parapet gutters and sumps are causing serious internal leaks. A first phase of repairs to address these issues has been funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund

Church of St Peter and St Paul, The Green, Chingford E4 - Waltham Forest
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1065582
    Local Planning Authority:
    Waltham Forest
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Peter and St Paul
    Street Name:
    The Green
    Locality:
    Chingford
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Waltham Forest
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Chingford and Woodford Green
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    B
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA