Church of St John, Church Lane, Perlethorpe cum Budby - Newark and Sherwood

Church, built in 1876 to the designs of Anthony Salvin for the 3rd Earl Manvers. In the C14 Decorated style. Restored in 1904. The church sits within the rural and mature landscape of Thoresby Park. The building is suffering from extensive and severe salt damage to internal stonework, with significant and widespread stone decay. Numerous areas of external stone are also affected. The causes are not yet fully understood and further research is necessary, but some downpipes leak, there is extensive cement repointing and gutters are susceptible to blockage from fallen leaves.

Church of St John, Church Lane, Perlethorpe cum Budby - Newark and Sherwood
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOHN
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1045471
    Local Planning Authority:
    Newark and Sherwood
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St John
    Street Name:
    Church Lane
    County:
    Nottinghamshire
    District / Borough:
    Newark and Sherwood
    Parish:
    Perlethorpe cum Budby
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Sherwood
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*