CHURCH OF ST JOHN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045471 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 02:11:17.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- Perlethorpe cum Budby
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 64549 70956
PERLETHORPE CHURCH LANE
SK 67 SW CUM BUDBY
Church of St. John
Parish church. 1876. By A. Salvin for third Earl Manvers. Restored 1904. C14 Decorated style. Snecked ashlar. Ashlar dressings. Graduated slate roof with coped gables with crosses and elaborate slate ridge crest. Chamfered eaves band and moulded parapets. West tower with spire, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, organ chamber, vestry, south porch. Windows are C14 style lancets with hood moulds and mask stops. West tower, 3 stages, has 3 string courses, traceried panelled band and crenellated parapet with 4 gabled crocketed pinnacles and 4 large gargoyles. Setback octagonal spire with moulded arrises, 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes and finial. 4 large clasping buttresses. First stage has to south a double lancet. To west, moulded doorway with shafts and hood mould and above, gable with Decorated finial. Second stage has to west and to north, square window containing quatrefoil. Third stage has 4 double lancets with linked hood moulds. Parapeted nave clerestorey has on each side 4 panelled crocketed pinnacles and 4 gargoyles. 4 double lancets with ogee heads and segmental headed reveals. East gable has small cusped window. Buttressed north aisle, 4 bays, has 4 gargoyles. To north 4 and to west, single, ogee headed double lancets. Gabled organ chamber, to east, has coped gable and 2 gargoyles. To north, traceried round window. Lean-to vestry has single coped gable and 2 gargoyles. To north, shouldered doorway and to its right, mullioned casement. To east, double lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has diagonal buttresses to east plus 2 buttresses to south. On each side, 2 crocketed pinnacles and 2 gargoyles. Traceried panelled coped parapet. North side has to east, ogee headed double lancet. East end has 5 light ogee headed lancet. South side has off-centre shouldered priest's door and 3 double lancets as north side. Buttressed south aisle, 4 bays, has moulded parapet and gables and 4 gargoyles. To south, 3 double lancets plus a similar lancet at each end. Gabled south porch has pair of diagonal buttresses and chamfered doorway with hood mould. On each side, square headed reveal containing double lancet. Interior has wooden benches and principal rafter roof. Simply moulded inner doorway with hood mould. Studded door with decorative hinges. Nave north and south arcades, 3 bays, have each 3 rectangular piers with coved corners and cruciform bases. Foliate capitals. Matching responds. Arches double coved and rebated, with hood moulds and mask stops. Principal rafter roof with mock hammer beams, wall shafts on foliate corbels, arch braces and collars. Double coved and rebated tower arch has shaft responds and hood mould, foliate capitals and stops. Recessed ihto four centred arched opening with head inscribed 'Haec ecclesia in gloriam Dei a Sodneio Guilielmo Herberto tertio Comte Manvers Aedificata. Consecrata est A D XI Kal. Dec. A D MDCCCLXXVI'. Tower chamber has traceried panelled west door and west window with patterned stained glass. North aisle has to west, traceried panelled oak screen enclosing choir vestry. West window and 3 north windows have patterend stained glass. Westernmost window has stained glass c.1955, to the fifth Earl Manvers and others. Lean-to roof with wooden wall shafts on corbels. East end has traceried oak parclose screen. South aisle has east window with stained glass to the sixth Earl Manvers, signed 'Derek Wilson 1957'. Other windows have patterned stained glass. Otherwise similar to north aisle. Moulded and coved chancel arch has polished granite responds with foliate capitals. Hood mould on both sides, with mask stops. Above, small cusped window with stained glass, C19. Chancel north side has to west, opening with Moorish plate tracery and black marble shafts. To east, moulded doorway and credence with foliate carving. East end has sill band and elaborate reredos with marble shafts and 5 carved figures in ogee headed niches. Flanked by traceried panels. East window has stained glass, 1912, to the third Earl Manvers and wife. South side has to east, crocketed, gabled double sedilia with marble shafts. Westernmost window has stained glass to the Marshall family, 1881. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and mask corbels. Fittings include font with octagonal traceried panelled bowl on octagonal stem with 8 flanking shafts. Octagonal oak pulpit with traceried panels, on marble stem with 8 flanking shafts and elaborate foliate capitals. Large brass eagle lectern. Panelled oak benches with shaped ends and panels with naturalistic carving. Brass altar rail. Large oil painting by Sir Benjamin West, 1779. Large C19 oil painting. Moulded marble shaft carrying cherub with cross. Traceried panelled oak stalls and desks with crocketed finials and 16 heraldic beasts. Monuments include brass to third Earl Manvers, 1900, and marble wall tablet with coloured inlay panel to fourth Earl Manvers, 1926.
Listing NGR: SK6454970956
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.